There followedSt Paul’s Cathedral built after the terrible fire ofLondonin 1666. It looked splendid when first built. 学生可能会问:when first built是一个什么句式?
when first built 原本是一个省略了某种成分的从句,补充完整后应该是:when it was first built。又如,When heated, water will become vapor. 加热时,水会变成水蒸汽。
英语语法规定,在某些状语从句中,当其主语跟主句的主语一致,而且含有be动词时,可以把主语(一般是代词充当)以及be动词一起省略。旨在使句子更加简洁和生动。
这个规则必须满足3个条件:(1)限于某些状语从句(2)主、从句的主语必须一致(3)有be动词,这个be动词可以是系动词,可以是进行时态的be,也可以是被动语态的be。例如:
Mary often helped her classmates when (she was) free. (was是系动词)
While (you were) walking the dog, you were careless. (were是进行时的助动词)
John won't come to your party unless (he is) invited. (is是被动语态的助动词)
现在,把各种状语从句的省略情况,尽可能全面系统地做一总结。
1. 时间状语从句中,省略“主语+be”
When (she was) very young,she began to learn to play the violin. 她很小的时候,就开始学习拉小提琴。
Tom likes to listen to music while (he is) reading. 汤姆喜欢读书时听音乐。
2. 条件状语从句中,省略“主语+be”
If (he is) given more time, he will do the work better. 如果给更多的时间,他会做得更好。
Unless (you are) here, you can't find this kind of plants. 除非在这里,其他地方你找不到这种植物。
If条件句是省略最经常、省略形式最多的一种。常见的条件句省略形式有:if necessary, if possible, if true, if so, if not, if any, if anything, if anyone, if eve, if not better than等。例如:
I could come earlier, if (it is) necessary. 如果有必要我可以早点来。
If (it is) possible, I'll come to help. 如果可能的话,我会来帮忙的。
If (it is) true, this will cause us a lot of trouble. 如果是真的,这会给我们带来很多麻烦。
They think she may try to phone. If (it is) so, someone must stay here. 他们认为她可能来电话。要是这样的话,就得有人守在这儿。
I might see you tomorrow. If not, then it’ll be Saturday. 我可能明天去看你。如果不是明天,那就在周六。
There are few people nowadays, if any, who remember him. 现在能记得他的人,即使有也很少了。
I’m not angry. If anything, I feel a little surprised. 我没有生气。如果说我有什么反应的话,那就是我感到有些惊讶。
If anyone, he knows. 如果有人知道,那就是他了。
He seldom, if ever, goes to the movies by himself. 他不会,即使有也很少,单独去看电影的。
Will you be staying another night? If so, we can give you a better room. If not, could you be out of your room by 12:00?
您要再住一晚吗? 如果是这样,我们可以给您提供条件更好一点的房间。如果不是,您能在12点前离开这房间吗?
Jim plays football as well as, if not better than, Mike. 吉姆踢足球如果不是比迈克踢得更好,至少也是一样好。
3. 让步状语从句中,省略“主语+be”
Though (he is) a young man, he has made several inventions. 虽然还是个年轻人,他已经有好几项发明了。
He is a good man,though sometimes (he is) rather dull. 他是个好人,尽管有时相当无聊。
Even if (I am) invited to,I won't go to such a bad lecture. 即使邀请我去,我也不参加如此糟糕的讲座。
4. 方式状语从句中,省略“主语+be”
She talked to the stranger as if (she were) absent-minded. 她和陌生人谈话时似乎心不在焉。
He opened the drawer,as if (he was) in search of something important. 他打开抽屉仿佛要找什么重要的东西。
She stood at the gate as if (she was) waiting for someone. 她站在门口好像在等人。
The teacher shouted at the boy as if (he was) angry. 老师朝孩子大喊大叫好似很生气。
5. 比较状语从句省略相关成分
由than或as引导的比较状语从句,在意义明确的情况下,可以省略than或as后面的相应部分,这一点与上述情况不同。
I know you better than (I know) him. 我对你比对他了解得更清楚。
I know you better than he (knows you). 我比他更了解你。
She can dance ballet just as wonderfully as you (dance). 她芭蕾舞跳得和你一样好。
She has finished the work earlier than (it has been) expected. 她这项工作比预料的提前完成。